Well, Hello There...
♥♥♥

:: A Walk in SengKang Forest ::

Sunday, September 05, 2010 @ 1:06 AM


::4th September 2010::

Remember the online nature trekker, SiYang, who I asked directions on how to get to the Tuas Grassland’s pitcher plants? Link to post Well, I contacted him on Facebook message; asking him questions regarding these nature treks. And yea, he has invited me along one of his many field trips of forest bashing; with his friends. Whee~ This time round would be at the forest just opposite SengKang riverside park. I managed to get Joshua invited in as well; so that I won’t be lonely during the trip. Heh :X

We were to meet at Fernvale station @9.30am. And also to wear long pants, hiking shoes and comfortable long sleeves shirt - necessary for forest bashing activity. However, I do not own any hiking shoes... so I have to make do with my sneakers :X Moreover, to be prepared to get dirty 'cos the trail might be muddy D: Hopefully not!!!

Met up with Joshua first on that day and we made our way to Fernvale. SiYang texted me and told me to alight at Thanggam station instead; as it was nearer to our destination. Joshua and I were twenty minutes late :( Wasn't very sure about the SengKang LRT line. My very first time taking it. SiYang and his friends - Hazelina, PeiYa and WenQing (btw, they are all like NUS people!!) were already there on time! So they went off to scout the area for a bit.

Photobucket
Totally nothing around the station @@!

We all met up at the trail entrance which is at the left of the station, introductions made and let's move on! SiYang told me that there are many forest fragments in Singapore; and it's interesting to bash in to see what's inside. And for this particular forest used to be a plantation, evident from the lots of fruit trees - durian, rambutan, starfruit, growing there.

Photobucket
Caterpillar found! :P

Photobucket
SiYang leading the way~

Photobucket

Photobucket
Ipomoea tricolor;
morning glory with heart-shaped leaves :)

Photobucket
Going down a side forest trail!

Photobucket
So cool to see that someone actually maintaining the trails!
Small piles of swept up leaves xD

Photobucket
Entering the forest and crossing over a small river!
Luckily for me, I didn't miss my footing. If not, I will end up with dirty wet shoes D:

Photobucket
Through the forest...

Photobucket
... and out the other side! :D

Photobucket
They nicknamed this, the "chee-bye" plant...
due to that slit at the stalk (^///^)

Photobucket
A slug that WenQing has found!

Photobucket
This Malayan Banyan, Ficus microcarpa attracted lots of hungry birds.
Mass chirping sounds filled the entire forest!~

Photobucket
These are the tree's figs!

Photobucket
Cricket :P

Photobucket
& with that, we were out of the forest and into the open!! :D

Photobucket
Doing random stuffs xD

Photobucket
SiYang, going forth to scout for more plant species.
I think he has spotted a Hoya sp.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Mini watermelon???

Photobucket
More like round mini cucumber (@@)

Photobucket
There's a climber patch filled with Gymnopetalum sp.
SiYang wanted to taste the fruit of it; but decided not to after opening it up! D:
Why??

Photobucket
'cos the fleshy part covering the seeds looks like bird shit! D:
& looks worse than Koko's, yipyip's or Ocean's!

Photobucket
Pretty Clitoria sp. :D
(Many vernacular names of these flowers in different languages are
similarly based on references to a woman's sexual organ)



Photobucket
Wanted to backtrack back to the LRT station...

Photobucket
but we decided to walk down the slope and head back to Thanggam station.

Photobucket
Hazelina, WenQing, PeiYa and SiYang :D!

With that, we strolled back to the Thanggam station; where they all retrieved their bicycles (yes, they rode here on their bicycles!!) And said to meet up at SengKang mall for lunch :P After lunch at Kopitam, we went to the event space in the middle of the shopping mall; where there's some Gundam event/exhibition going on. Joshua is really interested in Gundams... for me, I think they are GunDAMNs... not my cup of tea :\ So we just hung around for a bit - checking out the Gundam displays and gachapon machines.

Photobucket
Gundam in chibi form(?)

Photobucket
Proper Gundams...
(really! I've got nothing to talk about for these things D:)

Photobucket
Me, wanting to steal the kid's Gundam gachapon capsule!

Photobucket
Giant gachapon machine with only Gundam stuffs...

Photobucket
YAY!!! Dragonball!! :D♥

Photobucket
I would have to admit that I think this Gundam is pretty cool :X

Photobucket
Joshua's and my gachapon Gundams (@@)
I don't even know what they are!!

And so, we home'd!!
MRT, BUS, PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION!!!

IMO, I had loads of fun with this forest bashing. Learnt a lot more about plants; although I didn't quite get their scientific names... SiYang and his friends were identifying all the plants with their scientific names! All sort of plants; even those plants with no interesting features, just plants with common green leaves - they could even identify them. They are like in a whole different league from commoners like me D: I really admire them!♥ Thanks so much, SiYang, for inviting me and my friend Joshua, along for this trek! :) (even though you only know me online.)

Photobucket
& ♥ the cute Beat City bees! :D

☆\( ^ ^)/〜〃。.:*:・'°☆バイバイ!


Credits to SiYang for the pictures/references that were used.
Please visit his nature blog
here



[=END=]




Never regret anything,
because at one time
it was exactly what you
wanted.


Labels: , ,



--xoxo,
Akira Star

Top of page

Previous - Homepage - Forward

Credits

Layout: www.pinaydoll.info
Basecodes: www.yaythemes.com



Copyright © 2009 - you.blogspot.com - All rights reserved - Theme: www.pinaydoll.info